Consultation is now open on revised plans for the future Southern Memorial Park.
The initial master plan for Southern Memorial Park was prepared in 2012. In the 2018-19 ACT Budget, funding was provided to review and update the 2012 master plan given the time that had passed since its completion.
The proposed site is along Mugga Lane in Hume. This was decided following extensive community consultation in 2009. This site is the most appropriate location due to its size, zoning, access and proximity to existing facilities.
We have now released the revised master plan, including designs for stage one of works, and are seeking feedback from the community on what is proposed.
Key features of the masterplan include:
- a high quality and welcoming atmosphere
- flexibility to enable different faith and cultural groups to practice their cultural rituals
- interment in three broad categories: ‘traditional’ lawn and monumental burials, ‘natural’ burials and a memorial garden for ashes
- a crematorium
- memorial halls and function halls
- outdoor chapel and gathering spaces
- recreational amenities including a nature playground, walking trail and equestrian trails
- a signalised entry on Mugga Lane.
For more information and to have a look at the revised master plan, please visit YourSay and provide your feedback either electronically or at one of the pop-up events. More pop-up locations will be added to YourSay in the coming weeks.